Sunday, December 23, 2012

Realistic Love Stories: Buckteeth and Pancakes


 
A few years ago, I remember it was Christmas night – the 25th – when I was driving back home from my father’s house after a family get together (ain’t those always fun?), and called up a guy I had been seeing for a few weeks. He was the ugliest guy I have (to this day) ever dated, and I’m not kidding. He had buckteeth, glasses and was shorter than me by an inch – and if you ever saw me you would know that’s incredible difficult since I’m 5’2”. But he was one of those guys that had a really sad story, the kind of story that made you want to console him, hug him and help him put his pieces back together. Plus, he was smarter than most guys I had ever dated and had a huge… heart. (What did you thought I was going to say?)

So, he proposed we met at the local Ihop. I’m not a big Ihop fan but I love pancakes, so that was okay by me, especially considering it was around two in the morning. And I remember talking for hours, feeling nervous about whether or not I looked pretty enough without looking like I had tried to hard – considering I was just visiting family – and eating a great stack of pancakes while feeling a bit guilty as I did. I remember talking about everything, anything or nothing in particular, just browsing through topics like we had nothing better to do or nowhere better to be.

He was older than me by a few years but we connected like kindred spirits. We even talked about past lives and actually believed that we had to have met at some point in at least one. And I always believed, even though it sounds silly and I never told anyone before, that if we did he most surely broke my heart.

The thing I remember most clearly it’s his smile, so big and easy, never minding his buckteeth. He was so sure of himself, so sure of what he wanted out of life. I guess that was his most attractive feature in my eyes, because I was the total opposite of that. I was so insecure, so afraid of life and what might happen tomorrow that I never stop to smell the flowers, as they say. I passed… like a shadow of a person, winning hearts for a short time, collecting friends I would abandon in a few years and men I would sleep with once or twice and discard not because I didn’t like them – I never went to bed with a stranger, always a friend, someone I trusted and liked – but because I was so afraid of commitment, of belonging somewhere and loving someone. Because opening my heart meant to let the good and bad things in, and I wasn’t willing to take that risk.

And I keep thinking, how stupid we are when we are young – or should I say younger? – to believe that everything has to be connected. We can’t simply meet someone randomly and find out we actually have stuff in common. We think that the planet aligned and made it possible for us to find each other, not only on this life but in all others. Or at least, I used to. Of course, the cynicism and pessimistic side of all was always there. Simply thinking it had not ended well before, fathom that it will not end up well again. So, basically, I was setting myself up for failure.

 The saddest part is that, at this point in time, I can’t even remember his name and back then… Back then, he was the love of my life.

1 comment:

  1. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete